Job Profile SummaryThe Principal Data Scientist is the most senior individual contributor in the Data Science / AI discipline at bp and heads the data science / AI sub-discipline globally. The Principal Data Scientist drives deep strategic thinking by combining their technical expertise with strong business acumen and data domain knowledge. You will have the opportunity to continue to be hands-on, for example building data science models, reviewing code and providing actionable, pragmatic insights in technical design reviews.
Job AdvertThe most senior individual contributor in the Data Science / AI discipline at bp and heads the sub-discipline globally, driving deep critical thinking by combining technical expertise with a strong eye for business and data domain knowledge.About the job:
- Define, set and propagate strategy for bp in collaboration with the VP Data & Analytics.
- Deeply understand customer and business needs and be pragmatic about the use of Data Science / AI.
- Identify, lead and build company-wide programs.
- Be hands-on and actively contribute to relevant projects.
- Drive and promote a data-driven culture and attitude across bp.
- Elevate bp’s external profile, a chance to be a real ambassador
- Develop an identity and community within the field at bp.
- Establish and own professional the standards and best practices.
- Pioneer new use cases in the Data Science / AI space.
- Recommends the canonical set of Data Science / AI tools across bp.
- Provide insight, be at the cutting edge of emergent trends and technologies and advises the executive team and senior business leaders on the introduction of new technologies.
- Mentor others and in conjunction with People and Culture build learning paths to upskill and reskill bp talent.
- Deep and hands-on experience designing, planning, implementing, maintaining and documenting reliable and scalable data science / AI systems in complex environments.
- Development experience in one or more object-oriented programming languages (e.g. Python, Go, Java, C++) and deeply familiar with software engineering best practices
- Deep knowledge and application in a wide range of data science areas, including machine learning, deep learning, operations research, and product experimentation.
- Strong stakeholder management and ability to lead large organizations through influence
- Experience co-developing strategy with the business
- Continuous learning and improvement mentality
- Degree or equivalent in machine learning, statistics, computer science or related field
At bp, we provide a phenomenal environment and benefits such as an open and inclusive culture, a great work-life balance, tremendous learning and development opportunities to craft your career path, life and health insurance, medical care package and many others!
Diversity sits at the heart of our company and as an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone's place. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment
Reinvent your career as you help our business to meet the challenges of the future. Apply now!
EntityInnovation & Engineering
Job Family GroupIT&S Group
Time TypeFull time
About BPINNOVATION & ENGINEERING
Join us in creating, growing, and delivering innovation at pace, enabling us to thrive while transitioning to a net zero world. All without compromising our operational risk management.
Working with us, you can do this by:
• deploying our integrated capability and standards in service of our net zero and safety ambitions
• driving our digital transformation and pioneering new business models
• collaborating to deliver competitive customer-focused energy solutions
• originating, scaling and commercialising innovative ideas, and creating ground-breaking new businesses from them
• protecting us by assuring management of our greatest physical and digital risks
Because together we are:
• Originators, builders, guardians and disruptors
• Engineers, technologists, scientists and entrepreneurs
• Empathetic, curious, creative and inclusive