Military tanks, helicopters, sea vessels - every vehicle in the Army needs fuel. As a Petroleum Operator, you will work in a Fuel Squadron and make sure our troops get the petrol, diesel and oil they need. Your training will teach you everything you need to know and later on you can gain further qualifications, progress up through the ranks and build skills you can use in industry.
There are opportunities to conduct work experience packages with industry companies to gain an understanding of working with industry fuel systems and equipment.
Find where you belong.
You'll start with your initial military training which will teach you how to be a soldier - this will cover everything from fieldcraft to handling a rifle. If you join as a Junior Soldier (under 17 years 5 months), you’ll do a 23-week basic military training course at Harrogate. If you join as a Regular Soldier (over 17 years 1 month), you’ll do the regular 14-week adult basic training.
Next, you will undertake your 15-week Combat Logistician course at the Defence School of Transport in Leconfield. During this, you will earn your Category C+E Driving Licence and study general service driver modules. This training also gives you the opportunity to gain a broader knowledge on the Royal Logistic Corps functions and roles.
Then you attend a 7-week course at Worthy Down Camp in Winchester to complete the Petroleum Bulk Fuel Installation Operator qualification. You are taught how to store and handle fuels, identify hazards and deal with fires and environmental issues. You start by working with a supervisor to gain experience, once you’re more skilled, you’ll have more responsibility and will learn how to test and blend fuels.
The Army can help you gain a range of qualifications. These could include:
· Level 2 LGV Driver Apprenticeship
· Level 3 Apprenticeship Petroleum Operations
· Level 2 Certificate Logistics & Transport
· Level 3 Certificate Logistics, Transport Oil and Gas
· National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH)
· Transferable credits towards some Degree Programmes with appointed Universities
· Level 3/4 Diploma in Team Management
SHOW PEOPLE WHAT YOU’RE CAPABLE OF
We'll be with you every step of the way as you move up the ranks. From the moment you begin your training you'll get all the support and encouragement you need to make a success of your career. Work hard and you'll soon get promoted, which means more responsibility and extra pay.
Become a Petroleum Operator and you’ll:
- Earn a starting salary of around £15,985 during Basic Training which will rise to £20,400 after completing 26 weeks’ training or after completing your Initial Trade Training, if less than 26 weeks
- Receive subsidised accommodation and facilities, increasing your disposable income
- Receive free medical and dental health cover
- Have the continuous access promotional opportunity and to continually progress your career
- Be sponsored to earn valuable civilian-recognised qualifications
- Take part in Adventurous Training and be able to play your favourite sports.
BELONG TO SOMETHING THAT MATTERS.
You should be:
· Regular Army age: 16.6 – 35.6 years
Qualifications you’ll need:
No formal qualifications required
· Mid Thigh Pull 50kg
· Medicine Ball Throw 2.7m
· 2km run 11m 30s
· MSFT (beep test) level 6.6
Our next deadline for application is 30th September 2022, with further opportunities ongoing throughout the year.
FIND WHERE YOU BELONG.