Job Profile SummaryLocation:
Saltend Chemicals Park, HullClosing Date:
We are delighted to present this fantastic opportunity for an Analytical Scientist
to work with us, as part of a multi-disciplinary team responsible for fundamental and exploratory studies in chemistry to support bp group operations and to appraise and develop new low carbon technology opportunities for business renewal.Advanced Bio and Physical Sciences for Low Carbon Energy
is a global team with world class laboratory facilities in Hull (UK), San Diego (USA) and Dalian (China). A multi-faceted team with skills and expertise in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, and computational sciences.
Job AdvertThe role:
Reporting into the Senior Manager – Molecular Innovation, the Analytical Scientist will be based at bp’s research and innovation centre in Hull. This team is responsible for advanced research in chemistry and chemical engineering, new catalyst and process innovation, and research into development of new fuel and lubricant molecules.Accountabilities will include:
- Delivering safe and compliant experimental operations, contributing to the development of a proactive safety culture.
- Responsibility for owning analytical techniques for the team to support fundamental and exploratory studies in chemistry and catalysis and technology deployed within the business and the appraisal of new processes of potential future interest to bp.
- Leading the design and execution of experimental work and interpretation of results.
- Strategic overview of analytical capability for the bp team in Hull, working with the management team to plan analytical capability needs for the team and liaising with global analytical teams.
- Providing expertise in analytical science and the application of state-of-the-art analytical techniques.
- Developing in-house capability by identifying and implementing best practices in analysis of complex mixtures and materials characterisation and evaluation from industry and academia.
You will be qualified to degree level in chemistry or analytical science, with experience employed in industry or university laboratories where you will have a proven track record in the hands-on development of new analytical techniques and/or methodologies to delivery of analytical solutions. Knowledge and experience of GC techniques for analysis of complex gas and/or liquid mixtures is highly desirable, knowledge of other analytical techniques such as X-ray analysis, adsorption techniques, elemental analysis, DSC, TGA, NMR and infra-red spectroscopy is desirable.
You will either be a proven leader or have shown leadership potential in your current role. It is essential that you can demonstrate you have had ownership of an analytical technique or techniques in your current or a recent role.
It is imperative you demonstrate effective communication skills and a collaborative style which contributes to the success of the team, as well as enthusiasm for learning, sharing ideas and building expertise.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Flexible working arrangements will be considered.
EntityInnovation & Engineering
Job Family GroupResearch & Technology Group
About BPINNOVATION & ENGINEERING
Join us in creating, growing, and delivering innovation at pace, enabling us to thrive while transitioning to a net zero world. All without compromising our operational risk management.
Working with us, you can do this by:
• deploying our integrated capability and standards in service of our net zero and safety ambitions
• driving our digital transformation and pioneering new business models
• collaborating to deliver competitive customer-focused energy solutions
• originating, scaling and commercialising innovative ideas, and creating ground-breaking new businesses from them
• protecting us by assuring management of our greatest physical and digital risks
Because together we are:
• Originators, builders, guardians and disruptors
• Engineers, technologists, scientists and entrepreneurs
• Empathetic, curious, creative and inclusive